EXO is not new in the K-Pop industry, in fact, the group debuted back in 2012 with 2 sub-units EXO-K and EXO-M simultaneously promoted in South Korea and China respectively. Then starting their first album “XOXO” in 2013 the two sub-units began to promote together under the name EXO. But as the group recently had their successful comeback, it’s only right if we talk about them.
- Suho (Leader, Lead Vocalist) – EXO-K
- Baekhyun (Main Vocalist) – EXO-K
- Chen (Main Vocalist) – EXO-M
- D.O (Main Vocalist) – EXO-K
- Xiumin (Vocalist, lead dancer, rapper) – EXO-M
- Chanyeol (Main Rapper, Vocalist, Visual) – EXO-K
- Kai (Main Dancer, Lead Rapper, Vocalist, Visual, Center) – EXO-K
- Lay (Main Dancer, Vocalist) – EXO-M
- Sehun (Lead Dancer, Lead Rapper, Sub-Vocalist, Visual, Maknae) – EXO-K
- Kris Wu (EXO-M)
- Luhan (EXO-M)
- Tao (EXO-M)
Korean and Mandarin:
- XOXO (2013)
- Exodus (2015)
- Ex’Act (2016)
- The War (2017)
- Don’t Mess Up My Tempo (2018)
Japanese: Countdown (2018)
What’s good about EXO:
- They are famous for their vocal power. The group can dance, rap, sing and harmonize all at the same time! This is quite rare in K-pop scene, not to mention that EXO (mainly D.O) likes to add ad-libs here and there.
- Their live performances are no jokes! Not only they sound awesome, you can expect different arrangements of the songs, sometimes you can expect different dance moves too, and of course their breath taking stage set-up. No wonder that their concert tickets are infamously hard to get.
- Separating themselves with other typical K-pop acts with their colorful and cute style (sometimes too cute for a boy group), EXO tends to show a more mature and manly charm. EXO usually choose more chic and darker apparels with relatively lighter (or at least manlier) make-ups.
- Their songs are somehow very catchy and top the charts, it’s almost like they are IU of boy group.
- EXO breaks many of K-pop stereotypes like idol-actors are bad at acting, but EXO’s D.O, Sehun, Suho, Chanyeol and Kai proves the otherwise. In fact, both D.O and Chanyeol received award(s) for their acting.
- Other stereotype that EXO breaks is that K-pop rapper cannot sing. Chanyeol, Xiumin, Sehun, Kai often show off their singing ability. Like the time Chanyeol sung at EXO concerts and his sister’s wedding, Chanyeol x Sehun duet, and Xiumin turns out able to reach high notes perfectly (even sometimes better than Chen and Baekhyun). Even Lay sings beautifully and successfully made his own solo album and we must say that his album rocks!
- Their key on point dance moves in surely one of many things you can expect from EXO. Although almost K-Pop acts show off amazing dance, but EXO offers a more sophisticated and complex dance yet they slay it.
- Despite having a lot members (currently 9), EXO is one of the very little K-pop groups that actually manages to give rather equal spotlights among the members. When not active as a group, each of the member is active, well promoted and all of them are considered shining. CFs aside, here are EXO’s members activities:
Member Activity D.O Dramas, Movies Chanyeol Drama, song writings and collaborating with other artists Suho Dramas, Variety Shows Sehun Dramas, Variety Shows, Social Events Baekhyun EXO-CBX, Drama, Collaborating with other artists Chen EXO-CBX, singing for OST Xiumin EXO-CBX Kai Dramas Lay Solo album, Dramas, Movies, Variety Show
What’s not that “good” about EXO:
- Although every member of EXO is apparently (finally) given the opportunity to shine individually, it might not be the case in their earlier career as 3 of them decided to quit and filed lawsuits against SM Entertainment claiming that they were not given much opportunity and receiving unfair treatments as non-Korean members. This is such a shame as the members departure time were quite close, some people were questioning the truth and the bonding depth among EXO’s members.
- One of the misfortune of managed under a big entertainment agency such as SM Entertainment perhaps its “lack of attention” toward each artist. As fans pointed out recently, EXO’s latest comeback with “Don’t Mess Up My Tempo” is claimed to lack in promotions as SM is currently focusing on NCT’s performance in the US and creating NCT’s new sub-unit.
- Mostly due to China-South Korea’s current ill relationship, EXO’s Lay had to promote individually mainly in China and cannot join the rest of EXO with their comeback.
- EXO has a very huge fandom called EXO-L, which was (is?) considered a sub-unit that “connects” EXO-K and EXO-M as in alphabet it goes like: K, L and M.
- EXO first debuted as 2 sub-units (EXO-K and EXO-M) that promoted their debut mini album titled “MAMA” in Korean and Mandarin at the same time in 2012.
- Only after their first album “XOXO” in 2013, EXO-K and EXO-M merged and started to promote together in EXO.
- During “MAMA”, each of EXO members are given a “super power” (badge): Suho – water, Xiumin – frost, Kai – teleportation, Kris – flight, Luhan – telekinesis, Lay – healing, Chanyeol – flame, D.O – earth/force, Tao – time control, Baekhyun – light, Chen – lightning, Sehun – wind.
- Among the 4 non-Korean members of EXO, only Lay stays although he is currently doing solo activities mainly in China.
- Both the group EXO and Lay recently released comeback albums with “Don’t Mess Up My Tempo” and “Namanana” respectively and both albums do great in charts and sales.
- Lay’s albums are said to be produced and financed personally with limited (if not none) support from SM Entertainment.
- EXO’s leader, Suho is said to come from a well-off family as he often treats his members during their training time.
- EXO’s D.O has bad sights due to his astigmatism resulting him to glare (thus getting scary image) without glasses. D.O also famous to be the most savage member yet becomes a mother figure for the members (apparently, he loves to cook and nag). Due to his rather cute savage reactions, the other members love to tease him every now and then, even on their concerts and live recordings.
- Apart from singing and rapping, EXO’s “Happy Virus” Chanyeol is famous for his ability to play many instruments: piano, guitar, bass, drums, etc. He, however, lacks in dancing skill and often get teased for that.
- Despite having so much aegyo, EXO’s Baekhyun is perhaps the only member who would (rather) casually address his interest in dating as the others are mostly too shy to comment in this matter. In fact, Baekhyun dated Girls’ Generation’s Taeyeon for about 14 months.
- EXO’s Kai and Lay are currently the best dancer in EXO. Hence both of them are often in charge of solo dancing on EXO’s concerts/performances.
- EXO’s Chen can reach an incredibly high notes and often shows off this talents during EXO performances but along with Chanyeol (and Suho), Chen lacks in dancing skill. He is also famous as the friendliest member during fan meeting events.
- EXO’s Xiumin is famous for his chubby and cute appearance. Despite not being one of the main vocalist in EXO, on an episode of Weekly Idol, Xiumin won a high note battle against Chen and Baekhyun.
- EXO’s maknae (youngest member), Sehun debuted at 18 years old and said to cry during a group meeting as all of the members “attacked” him for making their dorm a mess. Out of frustration, he cried and said that he felt wronged when he even prays for the members every single night.
See EXO’s D.O. movies and dramas list here: EXO’s D.O (Do Kyung Soo)’s Best Drama and Movie